Morocco: and what to wear

Schnecke_3On your way to Morocco?  Hmmm...what to wear?

Perhaps it’s better to ask what not to wear in Morocco.  Much simpler, as there are really only two rules:
*
1) Be careful of going too native
I had an email from a mother recently.  She and her 17 year-old daughter were coming to Marrakech and were determined not to be “ugly Americans.”  Internet research had indicated that Moroccan women wore caftans, and with that in mind, could I suggest an online caftan purveyor, so they could hit the ground running.  I deleted this email by mistake and frankly, I have worried about it ever since. In my mind’s eye, I could see the two of them arriving in Marrakech in their newly purchased caftans, only to look around and find…. that they felt out of place.  Caftans, you see, are best left to important Moroccan occasions, such as weddings.  So if a Moroccan wedding is not on your schedule while in country, perhaps it’s best to leave them out of your suitcase.
*
As daily wear, many Moroccans, men and women alike, do wear djellabas, the long Moroccan hooded robe reminiscent of Star Wars. (Ahem, the film stole its stylistic inspiration from Morocco and not the other way around.)  Yes, you could go ahead and purchase a djellaba to wear out and about during your Moroccan holiday but frankly, it’s not necessary and won’t likely earn you extra points from the locals.  The fact is that large swathes of Moroccans, especially in cities, wear western clothes.  And so, too, can you.
*
2) Be careful of baring too much flesh
As far as clothing goes, Morocco is a rather modest country.  With that in mind, I would strongly recommend that women follow a daytime to-the-knee rule.  Short shorts and  short skirts really are not appropriate daywear, unless you are on your way to the beach or in the confines of your own hotel compound.  Additionally, midriff baring tops are a no-no, as are teensy-weensy tank tops.  I don't wear sleeveless tops by day either.  A little modesty goes a long way in ensuring that you are not unduly ogled in the streets.  Lest you start grumbling about these puritanical clothing strictures (I realize that you are on holiday, after all), do know that by night, you have much more latitude.  In many of Marrakech’s chic restaurants and clubs, lower necklines, shorter hemlines and what I refer to as “clingy little numbers” are entirely permissible.
*
If I were in the market for a few new pieces to wear in my new home town of Marrakech, in addition to Tory Burch, I might pick up some items from Odd Molly.  Pretty, bohemian, and Di-approved, they look cool and comfortable.  Also, in an attempt to unlock my Moroccan inner-genie, I would purchase these shoes from Trippen.  Rather fanciful, don’t you think?
*
BohemianBohemian_1
You might also like: